Places Journal is seeking a Managing Editor who will play a key role in the strategic development, public presence, and growth of the publication and its international networks. The position encompasses editorial, communications, and development responsibilities and requires superb writing skills and high digital literacy combined with an analytical approach and a perfectionist’s eye for detail. Reporting to the Editor/Executive Director, the Managing Editor will:
- Shape communications strategy through research, planning, and analysis, including managing readership analytics and monitoring social media performance.
- Create, maintain, and manage regular communications including social media channels, Places News, and Places Wire; article promotions via social media, web advertising, and targeted email outreach; monthly and special newsletters.
- Craft stewardship strategies for key partnerships and editorial projects, including university collaborations and media relationships.
- Curate the Reading Lists channel, including soliciting and publishing contributions from our academic partner community.
- Manage development and fundraising campaigns, working in close collaboration with the board; track donors and donations; and manage donor stewardship.
- Research grant opportunities and develop grant proposals.
- Manage and participate in the Summer Writing and Editorial Workshop.
- Represent Places at conferences and other events.
- Participate in board leadership meetings, including reporting on communications and development progress to the executive committee and facilitating advancement committee meetings.
- Organize biannual board meetings, including program design, liaising with host organizations, and reporting to the board on journal performance and impact, partner community, and fundraising and strategic development.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated professional with strengths in strategic communications and developmental thinking. They will benefit from experience in online publishing, academic environments, social media management and analytics, and digital communications. Excellent organizational and time management skills are essential, as is familiarity with office tools, including Microsoft and Google Suites, and creativity tools, including Adobe. Interest in the design disciplines and non-profit and academic publishing is desirable.
This is a full-time staff position with competitive salary and benefits. You will work from home but participate in weekly in-person meetings in San Francisco (depending on pandemic restrictions). Places Journal is committed to diversity and welcomes people from all backgrounds to apply.
Places is a leading journal of public scholarship on architecture, landscape, and urbanism, with an extensive worldwide readership. We publish writers, designers, and artists who are responding to the profound ecological and social challenges of our time, with the goal of promoting equitable cities and sustainable landscapes. Founded in 1983 by faculty at Berkeley and MIT, Places has been online and free since 2009, and is now supported by a network of universities on five continents. Produced by a small and collegial team of editors based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Places is enjoying a period of vigorous growth and is eager to maintain momentum.
Apply via email to [email protected] Include a cover letter, résume, and one to three writing samples, editorial or professional. In the subject line, write “Managing Editor: [Your Name].”